Mike Derby's (my brother) Viewing

Mike Derby's (my brother) Viewing
Floral arrangements by my sister Anna

Saturday, September 19, 2009

making the 21 day good habit forming date

I have felt really blessed this week. I knew that new habits take at least three weeks to get used to. well, we are on week three, and finally Friday it felt really normal and natural, of course not smooth,and perfectly according to the schedule , but better.
I have done a lot of reflecting on why. I have felt lots of good opportunities to be a better mother. I have tackled projects I haven't done for years just because I would like to teach my daughters. i.e. Thursday was a project day, mine was the laundry and getting the mounds and mounds and mounds of clothes dispersed to the thrift store, drawers, garbage or organized into the right storage bin in the garage. Phew! i noticed when I got going on my own project they each got going on their own that I didn't even know they had in mind. I see this as one of the philosophy's principle of the parent being the mentor/example and the children follow suite coming to life. A started putting together her co-op binder, with page dividers. labels. paper, folers, etc. and started doing her homework they assigned in Spanish . H started decorating her room with large poster size coloring pages of Disney princesses that she had colored, to make a wall surrounding her top bunk so she could have her own space for privacy. Last week A got her own room. so now there are 4 in one room. Yeah they agreed to it only cause A's room holds all the dirty laundry for the house, and the toys we keep indoors. It was really nice having my girls self motivated and on task. we of coarse did all the everyday items.
the coolest thing was to see A into her Spanish, she has taken Spanish for two years at another charter school. well at co-op a parent did a really good job at getting her involved and she came home so excited and getting it for the first time ever. She never liked Spanish til now. she was happy and searching for the non-required homework the next day.
Friday was wonderful with Han. She sat with me for 1 hr. and 45 min. We went through about 5 or so BOB books( we usually get through about 2-3) and she practiced her writing and spelling, then we ended up doing 6 kindergarten math pages I found. They seem really easy for her. Then she wanted to make her own book, illustrating, writing the whole bit, about the five little monkeys sitting the tree. well we got to page two and decided to put it aside for another day.
My youngest two are getting used me being occupied and present, they seem to be playing on their own well. Han and E for that matter also.
I have felt that we are really getting the real feel of what a family is about. I see each of my children going though phases of core learning that they have missed, ( Thomas Jefferson core learning).
I knew that this venture was going to be one of the biggest leaps of Faith that I have ever attempted. I see it unfolding slowing and of course not according to how I in vision it, perfectly, but I see some teeny, tiny, minute steps, in a direction that we want. I had so many questions like how would I accomplish house work? what would happen to cook time? it will still be needed, it's ntt going to disappear. so where will it go? i can't possibly be able to do all that I've been doing and then some more. how? how? how? I called 4 other homeschooling mom's talked with a home school charter school education facilitator, who educated me on the whole process and gave me so many resources which she continues to do. I tried to imagine over and over and over what it would be like and knew that it wouldn't be like that at all. I went o the other mom's homes, and tried to be a fly on the wall in their homes,which you can't really be.
I have really taken a new look on things and I guess you could say stepped back in time to trust that this is the right thing. when I say step back in time I mean look at the founding fathers of our country and how educated they were and inspired. How did they do it? How were they living? NO I don't want to live like them but I do want to apply the things that worked for them in educations to my family. since each family is so unique. half the battle is knowing what you need. plus you really need to know quite a bit about nature and getting by without electricity if you want to be prepared for a natural disaster. and that actually helps me become focused on the outdoors, instead of T.V. or whatever else could take me away form nature. I have time now and freedom. Complete freedom. I always have but now I want to take advantage of more of it. Thanks to my dear Heavenly Father. You know the Biggest thing that I have noticed is that I am becoming the mom I want to be. I know I was becoming before also. Maybe it's cause I didn't see the progress in my children as much cause I wasn't around them as much, but now it is an everyday occurrence where I feel like I am receiving recognition of some sort, not the kind where you earn an award or your children say " Oh mom, you're the best," or your friends compliment you. it's different it's when you see the behaviors that you've always wanted to see in your children. watching them kissing each other better, treating each other like friends, happy to help each other and actually planning play dates with their sibling. well you know, to hear them say later after school let's do this or that o.k.? This is not how they are all the time don't get me wrong, it's just nice to see more. cause I am with them more. well if you actually made it to the end of this long blog entry good job and hope you enjoyed.

2 comments:

Bow Family said...

You go Trina,

I still don't know how you can manage this,but it is good that you finally found a way to do it.Take care and keep going.

Tatiana Bow

Laura Ayers said...

You're awesome! I'm looking forward to your first publication after this experience. Really...I smell a best seller!