The first week was chuck full of everything. We had science projects of soap making, foaming fountains, vet visits for our dog, museum visits, (the Cabrillo museum, where the children walked through the museum and watched a 30 min. movie on the gray whale migration, then the Science museum were we viewed the Giant Worlds exhibit along with whatever else they wanted to view, this actually was to help with a small unit study that Abby picked up on while viewing her science CD-ROM, we also later on that week watched an awesome show on the science channel called Planets, which we stopped every so often and quizzed the girls and had an awesome discussion with the older two), nature observation at the tide pools at point loma, checking out our new curriculum books(they jumped into their new math books). Going to P.E. classes at the park for an hour(soccer).
Now that I started homeschooling , I look at everything differently, Everything is a teaching opportunity. And all the experiences my children have, i.e. socially (at church activities) are all very important and do build who they are. I am so grateful for the Church and the role the fellow church members are playing in homeschooling my children in the different activities they will attend.
My children are all really into Science this year and I will be teaching a science class at the co-op we will attend Wednesday mornings, so this will be a win-win situation.
Everyday we start out with a devotional from the Friend Magazine, then if the day had something in history happen that is in the modern day news, I will elaborate. and everyday we have a group reading, We started the River Secrets, and than finally got the prequel Enna Burning, (We've read the Goose Girl). Fun tidbit; I was in the same LDSSA sorority as Shannon Hale at U of U(author of Enna Burnig).
We have a social studies curriculum that I've started with all three that is called REACH for kids and it emphasizes being unbiased and unprejudiced. It teaches about the history of migration in America and helps the younger children learn of their names and their ancestries. We do at least one lesson a week.
So far I have had the most fun when I have the one on one teaching experiences and than I love to see Hannah sit down and teach Emma. At times though I do have to remember these moments to think that this is not insane. why would someone do this when someone else will do it for free for them and do a great job?
Oh yeah I'm still reporting the first week, yeah it was chuck full. we had an art project that got everyone attention and they all did a great job.
we went to the library. I can't remember it all. I knew I would need to start this blog soon or else all would be lost.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've beenw ondering how that's going. I"m so glad you're blogging about it, although your colors are REALLY hard to read! Either that or I'm going blind! Keep up the good work- sounds like youre kids are getting a much better education than mine!
Post a Comment