Mike Derby's (my brother) Viewing

Mike Derby's (my brother) Viewing
Floral arrangements by my sister Anna

Monday, February 11, 2008

all the pests we've had to deal with since living in southern California

1. Fleas, fleas, fleas, for 7 mos. from the dog, Oh yeah we got bit too, in bed, our ankles would have little bites in the mornings, I was so worried about diseases.when we lived in the apt.finally we took her to the vet and gave her a shot and antibiotics and ointments, and got the best flea stuff there is. There are not fleas in Utah, at that we ever had to deal with.
2. lice( Abby got from a friend at school and luckily, we were very persistent and got them all out, after combing her hair for nits daily for about 3 weeks to a month, every morning, and caught one or two in hannah's hair before multiplying)
3. weavils (spell check?)all over in my cupboards. You know this stuff really does help me deep clean more than I probably would otherwise. so really this is a blessing.
4. banana spiders, huge, and we'd count the webs that crossed the sidewalk on the way to school, they ran from the bushes on our left to the pine trees on our right, we called it our haunted walkway. 34 one day)
5. these little gnat like flies, I'm sure cousins of the flies that camped out in our kitchen.
6.fruit flies of about three different types, and I am talking hundreds napping on our ceiling when we got back from a trip to Utah and found a hidden banana underneath the table leaves. a particular grocery store produce tend to have more than the others, hence the cheap prices.
7. flies and their lovely babies, maggots, summertime is bad.
8. ants, anytime of the year is good for them.They've been at our dwellings to greet us whenever we move in.
9. rats, in garage here at this house, big too, we could hear them at night in our walls, til we got rid of them. We set out a trap that completely dissappeared, we think the rat had it stuck to his leg and got stuck in our walls, starving to death.
(Yes he was that big. Joe saw him right after the trap tripped and it was missing and not the rat that he could see, but it was kind of stuck and stared at Joe, I didn't dare look, He's such a man.) or ran away, cause we don't smell anything real bad yet.A baby was caught too.
10. mouse, dead on our patio at apt.
11. cockroaches, this house had a few when we moved in, so the landlord sprayed for us.
12. these huge bugs that look like cockroaches that can fly too, call american brown water bug, and we got sprayed for them too. (garage only, phew)
13. Oh yeah pinworms, on a pretty regular basis now. for the last couple of months. How many times can you take that over the counter medicine for pinworms, before it may not work? any one know? The girls all sleep in the same room, so when one complains we sanitize the whole place, 4 beds and all the clothing. It's tiring to think about it. I am not looking forward to it. Haley just complained again last night.
14. I know there is more I just can't think of it. so to be continued....

1 comment:

Laura Ayers said...

We were warned about the pests when we were thinking about moving to Florida. After reading this, I think I'm really glad we live in Antarctica...oh I mean Salt Lake. Although, we have had mice running in our basement ceiling to escape the tundra outside this year! Len's obsessed with catching them- I've never looked either. Too sad. In Arizona we had crickets in our sinks every morning- we just got used to ignoring them or saying Good Morning to them! It's inevitable when you live in the warm weather. The warmth & humidity sounds WAY worse though. Good luck!